Accounting & Finance Investment Management
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 15 Oct 2022 (Sat)
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
- HK$7500 per module
This module is designed to provide an overview of the accounting and tax aspects with issues encountered in the merger and acquisition exercises nowadays and the related due diligence process.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
|Application Code||2050-3091NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||15 Oct 2022 (Sat)|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 10:00pm - 5:30pm.
- 30 hours per module
- 5 meeting(s)
- 6 hours per meeting
- Fortress Tower Learning Centre
- HK Island Campus
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A (Course content)
This course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the accounting and tax aspects of the M&A process. Topics include accounting for M&A with respect to consolidation, assessing value of assets and liabilities of M&A. Other major topics include tax planning and foreign exchange impact on M&A with particular reference to cross-border transactions.
Lecturer: Dr. Victor Yeung
Dr. Yeung is a Fellowship Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) and an Associate Member of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. He has over 10 years experience in audit and tax advisory with Big Four accountancy firms in London and Hong Kong. In addition, he has also dealt with businesses across Asia and handled IPO process in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. He has solid experience with Blue Chip Company handling Strategic Planning & Development as well as M&A deals in Europe and Asia with deals size over HK$ 10 billion. At present he is a senior management of an investment brokerage group and acts as director for various non-profit organizations and a mentor for university students. He is a committee member of the Financial Service Interest Group in HKICPA and regularly publishes articles on worldwide financial markets in local newspaper.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- evaluate and conduct due diligence process in M&A transaction;
- critically analyse accounting methods in M&A;
- assess value of assets and liabilities of M&A;
- critically analyse tax planning and foreign exchange impact in M&A with particular reference to cross-border transaction.
Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
|Lecture 1||15-10-2022||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 2||22-10-2022||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 3||29-10-2022||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 4||5-11-2022||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
|Lecture 5||12-11-2022||Sat||10:00 - 13:00, 14:30-17:30|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least 3 years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$7500 per module (Course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply NowEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Investment Management