Technology, Engineering & SciencesInformation Technology
BSc (Hons) Computer and Information Security
- Awarded by
University of Plymouth, UK
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 24 Sep 2018 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- Sep 2019
- 2 years
- Course Fee
- HK$97,000* in four instalments (Year 2: HK$40,000; Year 3: HK$57,000)
* Subject to annual changes
Cyber security is now widely recognised as an international priority, with hacking, malicious code, and data theft being just three of the many reasons why it's vital in the design, development and implementation of today’s IT systems. Unlike traditaional bachelor degree programme (BSc) in Computer Science, this bachelor degree programme (BSc) in Computer and Information Security delivers a view of security threats and solutions, alongside an essential background in wider IT topics and technology. This is particularly important in light of the national Cyber Security Strategy and the current shortage of related skills in the marketplace.
Mode of Teaching
The course contents are developed by Plymouth University. HKU SPACE and Plymouth University are collaborated to provide lectures and tutorials that match closely with the same programme in home country. Students are required to have a minimum of 75% attendance to both lectures and tutorials for all modules.
All modules are assessed by coursework only. All assessments are set and moderated by Plymouth University. Coursework is marked by the module tutors of HKU SPACE and moderated by Plymouth University module leaders. All graduates are required to demonstrate their final level of learning through final year project work and the accompanying project report.
For holders of Higher Diploma in Information Technology, Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent, exemptions may be granted at the discretion of Plymouth University.
Island East Campus / HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College Campus
- Regular Lecture/ Tutorial - Weekdays: 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Block Teaching Week (Consecutive four-day lecture, subject to change)
- Weekdays: 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Sat: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm & 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm; Sun:10:00 am - 1:00 pm & 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
First year modules
Module 1 - Database Applications Development (20 credits)
Module 2 - Computer Architecture and Low Level Programming (20 credits)
Module 3 - Secure Systems Architectures and Mechanisms (20 credits)
Module 4 - Security Integrating Project (20 credits)
Module 5 - Object-oriented Programming (20 credits)
Module 6 - Servers, Datacentres and Cloud (20 credits)
Second year modules
Module 7 - Information Security Management and Governance (20 credits)
Module 8 - Network Security and Penetration Testing (20 credits)
Module 9 - Intrusion Analysis and Incident Management (20 credits)
Module 10 - Digital Forensic Investigation (20 credits)
Module 11 - Computing Project (40 credits)
(a) Hold an Advanced Diploma in Computer and Information Security or a Higher Diploma in Information Technology awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
(b) Hold a IT-related Associate Degree awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE or a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in IT-related disciplines awarded from other tertiary institutions, recognized by University of Plymouth;
2. Provide evidence of English proficiency:
(i) HKDSE English Language at Level 2;
(ii) HKCEE English Language at Level 2;
(iii) HKCEE English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade E (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A));
(iv) an overall band of 6.0 or above in the IELTS or a score of 500 in the paper-based TOEFL, a score of 173 in the computer-based TOEFL and a score of 4.5 in the Test of Written English.
* According to University of Plymouth regulation, mature students and applicants with other equivalent qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- HK$97,000* in four instalments (Year 2: HK$40,000; Year 3: HK$57,000)
* Subject to annual changes
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- All applicants are required to complete one Enrolment Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to The Programme Leader, B.Sc. (Honours) Computer and Information Security, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
- Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
- A non-refundable crossed cheque payable to ‘HKU SPACE' for HK$150 in respect of the application processing fee.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment (for the course/programme has online enrolment only)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
The University of Plymouth’s preferred name is ‘Plymouth University’. It is one of the UK's most prominent and dynamic universities with an educational history dating back to 1862. PU is one of the largest universities in United Kingdom with around 27,000 students studying a variety of programmes from farming to photography, business to biology, and design to dentistry. PU is also one of the top 350 universities in the world*, and are the 37th of those aged under 50**. PU is committed to providing a first-class, first-choice student experience, enhancing employability and developing scholarship and citizenship. A twice-winner of the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education, most recently in 2012, the innovative teaching, the impact-driven approach to research, and the way working with partners to create social and economic benefits for communities has been recognised. In January 2005, PU was awarded four Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETLs) by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) to reward its excellent teaching practice and to further invest in teaching practice for the benefit of students. Fifteen of PU's subject areas have been ranked excellent or equivalent, and its portfolio of marine-based degrees is the most extensive in the UK.
As a global university, PU has more than 80 partnerships in 30 countries, including China, the United States and Sri Lanka. And with extensive partner college network across the south and west of England, PU has a total of 13,000 off-campus students enrolled on Plymouth degrees.
PU’s School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics have an excellent track record in teaching and research, alongside wider engagement with business and community. Their expertise spans computing, electronics, mathematics, robotics and statistics, with a wide range of programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, (including professional accreditation from British Computer Society, the Chartered Institute for IT, the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, the Institution of Engineering and Technology, and the Royal Statistical Society as well as recognition from the Institute of Physics).
*Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015.
**100 Under 50 university rankings 2015.
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Diploma in Computer and Information Security 電腦鑑證科技(高中應用學習)證書