Writing Using Plain English
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- Nov 2022
- 6 weeks
- Course Fee
This short course aims to enhance students’ understanding of and ability to use Plain English. Lessons focus on strategies for writing clearly and concisely, which include emphasising active verbs, avoiding nominalisations and using lists where appropriate. Students will also be guided on how to plan and produce reader-friendly documents. The teacher will make use of authentic samples to critique writing impact and effectiveness in selected contexts.
For more comprehensive information about English Language learning at SPACE, please visit us at: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english
You may also be interested in these courses:
- English at Work – Email Writing: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/english-at-work-email-writing
- Business Email Writing: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/business-email-writing
- Business Grammar: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/business-grammar
- English at Work – Impromptu Talk and Discussion: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/english-at-work-impromptu-talk-and-discussion
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; some of them are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes To Applicants
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Students will be informed of the venue by email before the course commencement. If you do not receive the information three days before the start date, please contact Ms Christy Chung (Tel: 2975 5695, Email: email@example.com)
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
|Application Code||1985-1601NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||03 May 2022 (Tue)|
|Time||6:45 - 9:45 pm|
|Venue||HPSHCC Campus, Causeway Bay|
|Apply Online Now|
- 6 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Applicants should have a Secondary school level of English language proficiency or equivalent.
- Course Fee : HK$2,000
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS Or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of