Modern Business Writing Skills
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 06 Mar 2021 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- September 2021
- 15 weeks
- Course Fee
- HK$4,500 per module
(1) For admission details or placement test appointments, please contact Ms Jasmine Chiu (2975 5880) / Ms Christy Chung (2975 5695);
(2) Please note the timelines:
- Early-bird discount cut-off: 6 February 2021
- Application deadline: 23 February 2021
We thank you for your interest in SPACE Business English.
Business English Programme Team
Modern Business Writing Skills is one of the two compulsory modules leading to the HKU SPACE Certificate in Business English award. The module covers:
· effective written communication: Style, tone, image and impact;
· internal communication: Email, memos and minutes; and
· external communication: Job applications, enquiries, complaints and their replies.
The Certificate in Business English programme helps working professionals communicate accurately and effectively in spoken and written English in various business contexts. This is the entry level of the Advanced Diploma / Diploma in Business English programme.
The two modules* are very focused and they provide the much needed training in two major language areas: writing and oral communication.
Module 1: Modern Business Writing Skills
Module 2: Modern Business Oral Skills
* These modules can be taken as standalone courses with no commitment to complete the entire programme.
After the TWO 45-hour Certificate in Business English modules, students generally continue to enhance their language proficiency by participating the FOUR Diploma level modules. Follow these links for details:
For more comprehensive information about SPACE English services, please visit: https://hkuspace.hku.hk/interest/languages/english/business-english
Modern Business Writing Skills covers:
- Effective written communication: Style, tone, image and impact
- Internal communication: Email, memos and minutes
- External communication: Job applications, enquiries, complaints and their replies
Instructors of the course are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language teachers. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes to Applicants
Only programmes are reimbursable under the CEF scheme. Students have to successfully complete TWO modules in the Certificate in Business English programme to be eligible to CEF reimbursement.
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
|Start Date||06 Mar 2020 (Sat) (Application deadline: 23 Feb 2021)|
|Time||2:30 - 5:30 pm|
|Venue||Room 805, Kowloon East Campus|
- Contact hours: 45 (15 meetings x 3 hours)
- hold a Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage, Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation ) or Certificate in General English (Intermediate) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
- have gained the HKDSE Examination Level 3 or above in English Language;
- have obtained in the HKCEE Grade D (Syllabus B) or Grade B (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 3 in English Language from 2007;
- have obtained in the HKALE Grade E in AS Use of English.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merits.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test . There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the module(s) of their choice. The test schedules for this intake are:
22 Jan 2021 (Friday)
11 Jan 2021)
* 6 Feb 2021 (Saturday)
2 Feb at 11:55 pm) 2021)
For registration, please refer to Business English Day
Room 203, Admiralty Centre, Admiralty, HK
*Enrol on the same day and enjoy Fee Waiver. [Please prepare a cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE") for the Business English Entry Test Fee and submit it at the test venue on the test day. The Fee ($200) will be refunded to those who enrol into a Business English course on the same day (6 Feb 2021).]
Application forms for the Business English Entry Test are available from:
- any HKU SPACE enrolment centre
- HKU SPACE website
For progression to the next level, visit:
http://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/adv-dip-in-business-english ; and
- Course Fee : HK$4,500 per module (Regular fee for modules at certificate level.)
- Early Bird Rate : HK$4,300 per module (Early-Bird discounted fee for enrolment on/before 6 Feb 2021.)
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS Or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.