Architecture, Environment & HousingConstruction, Safety & Built Environment
Diploma in Surveying
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 16 Oct 2017 (Mon)
- 1 year
- Course Fee
- HK$26,500 per programme
The programme aims to equip students with practical and specialized knowledge and skills of the surveying profession, and prepare them for undertaking basic professional tasks and pursuing relevant professional qualifications.
Features of this programme
- By studying this programme, students will be equipped with the required knowledge, skills and abilities relating to a practicing surveyor to work in the surveying field immediately after graduation.
- The programme has been recognized by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Students only have to spend one year time studying this programme.
- Teachers are senior practitioners and qualified Chartered / Professional Surveyors. They are capable of teaching junior practitioners practical hands-on skills with their rich experience gained in the industry.
- The programme also comprises a variety of non-lecture activities, including BIM Workshop, Multidisciplinary Workshop, Guided Site Visits and Presentation Workshops. They help students to reinforce their knowledge and skills learnt in class by putting them into practice, enhance their learning experience, and encourage deep and active learning.
It is designed for part-time study of one year. Each academic year consists of two semesters. There will be an assessment period at the end of each semester for taking examinations of the modules studied.
Before starting the study, a student has to choose his/her stream: Building Surveying, Quantity Surveying or General Practice Surveying. Students have to take 4 modules in total, including two core modules, and two modules specifically designed for the chosen stream as detailed below:
Surveyors in Built Environment
The Legal Context of Surveying
Modules for Building Surveying Stream
Project Management for Building Surveyor
Modules for Quantity Surveying Stream
Construction Financial Control and Management
Measurement, Tendering and Estimating
Modules for General Practice Surveying Stream
Land Uses and Planning Development
Property Valuation and Investment
Students must complete the two core modules before taking the modules specifically designed for the chosen stream.
Apart from formal lectures and tutorials, there are non-lecture activities:
- BIM Workshop
- Students are taught with the latest technologies of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Computer Laboratory.
- Multidisciplinary Workshop
- Students are divided in groups according to their chosen streams, and carry out activities including case studies, analyses of scenarios type questions and role plays, to enhance their understandings of the roles of different streams of surveyors in a multidisciplinary project team.
- Guided Site Visit and Presentation Workshop
- The module lecturer carries out site visit with students to their selected sites to prepare the Practical Professional Project; students are required to complete the Practical Professional Project by collecting real project data and presenting their works in the Presentation Workshop.
- Assessments for the majority of modules are based on a 3 hour examination and an assignment.
- There is one module under each stream for which assessment is through a Practical Professional Project with real project data.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) of the Programme
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
1. articulate the principal features of the real estate market, construction industry and the roles of the different streams of surveying profession in Hong Kong;
2. explain fundamental concepts, knowledge and skills in carrying out professional tasks of a surveyor;
Depending on which stream the students have chosen, they will achieve the ILOs as follows:
Building Surveying stream
3. explain the statutory and non-statutory requirements affecting property development and property and facility management, and the related administrative procedures of complying with the requirements;
4. devise solutions to resolve management problems identified in the course of carrying out professional tasks of building surveying;
5. justify technical advice provided for new and existing built premises in terms of workmanship, materials used and regulatory requirements;
6. integrate and apply the knowledge and skills learnt to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of project delivery for the benefit of clients and the society as a whole.
Quantity Surveying stream
7. evaluate and synthesize relevant information in construction for effective cost management and creative problem solving;
8. apply the concept and principles of financial control and management in construction projects;
9. justify construction cost advice to ensure accurateness, efficiency and effectiveness in achieving project goals;
10. integrate and apply the knowledge and skills learnt to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of project delivery for the benefit of clients and the society as a whole.
General Practice Surveying stream
11. explain the procedures and rationales of land administrative procedures and planning development;
12. analyze the factors of time, cost, quality and environmental concern affecting effective asset valuations;
13. interpret the factors affecting asset management;
14. integrate and apply the knowledge and skills learnt to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of project delivery for the benefit of clients and the society as a whole.
|Start Date||16 October 2017|
|Time||18:45 - 21:45|
|Venue||To be advised|
- 2 evenings a week.
12 months, part-time (2 Semesters)
Applicants shall have gained in:
HKDSE Examination Level 2 in 5 subjects (including Chinese Language and English Language); or
HKCEE Grade E in 3 subjects, Level 2 in Chinese Language and English Language * or
Applicants with other relevant qualifications and one year of relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
*With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognizes Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$26,500 per programme (By 2 Equal Instalments)
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Associate Membership
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Please submit your completed "Application for Enrolment Form (SF26)" together with the application fee (crossed cheque of HK$150 made payable to “HKU SPACE”) and supporting documents (i.e. copies of academic qualifications and/or proof of work experience) to any of our enrolment centres in person or by post to HKU SPACE, 11/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong (Attn: Ms Jeanis Yam). Please clearly mark on the envelope "Application for Diploma in Surveying (1550-HB040A)".